A blog on reading, writing and life

Monday, September 29, 2014

Words of Warning: An Unscientific Assessment of Literary Blurbs

My idea of the worst book in the world.
Lately, I’ve noticed some similar terms being used in literary blurbs, so I thought I’d note which ones tend to correlate with books I like and dislike. To me, these words signify shallow, purple-prose driven books:

Brave, confront, human heart, childhood, vision, redeeming, New York Times Notable Book of the Year, painfully beautiful, voice, musical, truth

And these words usually mean good things to me:

Compelling, modern man, intelligence, philosophical, challenge, metafictional, mysteries, humor, our century, decisive, biting, mythical

But of course for someone else, those might mean pretentious dribble. Different strokes, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment